Friday 20 January 2012

My stitched portraits

Small portraits with fabric backgrounds based on the photo strip I created below. I like the second and third portraits best.


this is the back of the sample above,


This is a larger portrait on calico. Some of the paper stencil has not washed out of the fabric and the printer ink has run a bit, making some of the fines more dense and black


This is the back of the above sample. The quality of line is quite different because there is less tension on the thread at the back and I have not trimmed the threads. 


This is a 10cm portrait, using  dark blue thread with a fabric background.


 Here I have tried to work in the style of Caroline Kirton, by using applique and drawing the whole figure. I think that my free machining technique is more effective when working more densely into the image. I do not like the quality of the line in this image.

 Here is the back of the above piece. I like the inclusion of the loose threads and think that it makes the whole image more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment