Sunday 1 January 2012

Felting


I have made a range of felt bowls and small pieces in the past and I have always liked the contrast between the colours on the outside of the bowl with the much darker tones seen inside. 




I have an excess of cream fleece and so I started to make bowls with cream on the outside and colours in the middle. As you felt the fleece the colours start to combine making tints of the colour. In the final pieces the centres are filled with intense colours and the outsides are mottles with subtle tints. These pieces are about 6 com wide and are variable in shape and size. While I like the effect I am not very happy with the finish of these pieces, they are too irregular and the colours are too strong.



 In this second set I started to make smaller bowls with more regular size holes at the top. Each individual piece is more attractive and I have used more neutral colours which I feel work well. As I worked on these bowls I started to use less and less coloured fleece inside and became interested in the way that just small amounts of colour can effect the tints and tones within the whole piece.


To develop this piece I intent to continue to make a range of these small bowls, experimenting with colour in each. I would like to make a final installation by attaching the bowls together to form an interesting and tactile surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment