Wednesday 12 October 2011

Machine Stitch Tea Cup


This is my final tea cup piece which is constructed from panels of free machining samples. I have used floral fabrics and silk voile over a heavy calico background. The free machining designs are based on my flower drawings, Mason Ironstone china and the floral fabric designs. The tea cup and tea bag are designed to go together as shown here.



Two views of the tea cup from opposite sides


The saucer which is constructed again from layered fabrics and free machining.

Evaluation of this piece
I like the photographs of this piece of work, but I am less pleased with the actual piece. I found the free machining more difficult to control than I had imagined and so the detail is less finished looking than I had hoped.
My favourite use of machine stitch within the project is the use of dense straight lines used in the tea bags and the curved version seen on the saucer. This is a technique I will use again.
I am really please to have finished this piece and excited about starting my dying and printing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment